How Students Can Get Permanent Residence after Graduation in Canada?
Settling in Canada via educational programs and after Graduation in Canada is a rising trend among immigrants around the world. Hundreds of thousands around the world, join Canadian University so that one day they can get a permanent residence ship there.
A Permanent Resident (PR) is someone who has been given permanent resident status by immigrating to Canada, but he/she is not a Canadian citizen. Permanent residents are citizens of other countries.
As a permanent resident in Canada you have the right to:
- get most social benefits that Canadian citizens receive too, including health care coverage
- live, work or study anywhere in Canada
- apply for Canadian citizenship
- being protected under Canadian law and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
*Please be noted that you have to pay taxes and respect all Canadian laws at the federal, provincial and municipal levels.
As a permanent resident in Canada you are not allowed to:
- vote or run for political office
- having some jobs that need a high-level security clearance
To maintain your permanent resident status, you must have been in Canada for at least 730 days in your last five years. There is no problem if these 730 days are not continuous.
What is the permanent resident (PR) card?
The PR card can use to show that you have permanent resident status in Canada. You will need this card if you want to travel outside Canada while coming back on a commercial vehicle, like an airplane, boat, train or bus, you will show this card with your passport.
How Can I apply to become a permanent resident after finishing study?
There are different ways to get PR in Canada such as : Express Entry Program, Family Class Sponsorship , LMIA Work Visa , The Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP) , Canadian Investor Immigration , CEC category, Humanitarian and Compassionate application, Refugee Claims, as well as the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program, but here in this article we want to explain one of programs of Express Entry which is very popular among international students to apply that is Work permit
After Students graduate from theirs programs of studies, They might be able to work temporarily or even live permanently in Canada. That’s why they apply for a work permit.
There are 3 types of work permits:
- open work permits
- employer-specific work permits.
- Post Graduation Work Permit
An open work permit allows you to work for any employer in Canada, except for an employer who have failed to obey the conditions.
An employer-specific work permit allows you to work according to the conditions , that include:
- the name of employer who you can work for
- the length of the time you can work
- the location you can work (if applicable)
Post Graduation Work Permit-An important step for Canadian PR:
If you want to work in Canada after you finished your studies, you must apply for a work permit which is “Post-Graduation Work Permit Program” (PGWP).
You might be eligible for a PGWP if you’ve been graduated from a designated learning institution (DLI) and want to stay in Canada temporarily to work.
If you want to check whether you are eligible for a PGWP or not, you must meet the DLI list to find out which schools have eligible programs.
* Please be noted that you have 180 days after you get your final marks to apply for a PGWP.
Qualification necessity for all applicants:
There are specific requirements you need to know according to where you are when you apply for your work permit.
But in spite of where you apply or which type of work permit you apply for, you :
- must prove to officer that you will leave Canada when your work permit expires;
- must show that you have enough money to take care of yourself and your family during staying in Canada and returning home;
- must obey the law and have no record of criminal activity
- must not be a danger for Canada’s security;
- must be in good health and have a medical exam, if it is needed ;
- must not work for an employer who has the status “ineligible” on the list of employers and has failed to comply with the conditions;
- must not work for an employer who, on a regular basis, offers striptease, escort services or erotic dance or massages, and..
- must give the officer any other documents they ask for to prove you can enter the country.
Qualification necessity if you apply from inside Canada:
You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if
- you have a work permit or valid study.
- your spouse, common law partner or parents have a valid study or work permit.
- You are qualified for a post graduation work permit and your study permit is still valid.
- you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for 6 months or more.
- you are waiting for a decision on an application for permanent residence from inside Canada.
- you made a claim for refugee protection.
- you have been detected as a convention refugee or protected person by the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada;
- you are allowed to work in Canada without a work permit but you need a work permit to work in a different job (this does not apply to business visitors).
- you are an investor, trader, intra company transferee or professional under the Canada – United States – Mexico Agreement (CUSMA).
Qualification necessity if you apply from outside Canada:
Anyone can apply before they enter Canada. although, there may be visa office requirements that you need to check depending on what country or territory you’re applying from.