Strong Evidence COVID predominantly spreads through air: Lancet & CDC reported
US CDC & lancet acknowledged that the transmission of SARS-CoV-2 can happen from inward breath of virus in the air farther than six feet from an infectious source.
The second wave of the novel Coronavirus, covid-19 has wrecked extreme havoc across the world with lakhs of cases being registered each day across the whole world.
Since the previous year, a ton of debate has occurred on how the coronavirus infection proliferates. Recently, a report published on THURSDAY, APRIL 15, 2021, in ‘The Lancet’ journal (world’s oldest and best-known general medical journals) has affirmed that SARS-CoV-2, the infection causes COVID-19, is an airborne pathogen.
The paper is composed by six experts from the US, UK and Canada including CIRES (the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences) and CU Boulder (the University of Colorado at Boulder – CU is ranked #2 worldwide in Geosciences) chemist Jose-Luis Jimenez; is currently a Professor in the Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry (Analytical, Environmental, and Atmospheric Chemistry Division), and a Fellow of the Cooperative Institute for Research in the Environmental Sciences (CIRES) has conflicted the dominating scientific logic which says that Covid proliferates through small aerosols that stay suspended in air or through fomites. The authors contend that there is “no reason for inferring that a coronavirus isn’t airborne” while “the scientific evidence with a logical proof demonstrates that it’s an airborne virus”.
Moreover, writers of the paper have called for prompt modification of established COVID-19 safety protocols. They have recorded a few reasons which claim that “particularly SARS-CoV-2 is transferred by the airborne route”.
- As per their first claim, “Superspreading events account for substantial SARS-CoV-2 transmission; in early March of 2020, the Skagit Choir outbreak happened, wherein 53 individuals got infected from a solitary infected case. Notably, various studies have confirmed these events cannot be adequately explained by close contact or touching shared surfaces or objects .
- The second claim that researchers have quoted is; exhibiting long-range transmission of the infection between individuals in contiguous rooms in hotels & the individuals who were never in each other’s presence.
- Furthermore, the authors of the report have contended that 33% to 59 % of all Covid cases can be credited to the asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic transmission without the infected individual’s coughing/sneezing.
- The next thing is that the viable SARS-CoV-2 has been recognized noticeably in air during lab tests, where the microbe remained irresistible infectious particle in the air for as long as 3 hours.
- In fact, to claim proof, the authors cited studies conducted on infected caged animals; revealed SARS-CoV-2 transmitted by an air duct.
- Additionally, the authors have declared that the coronavirus has been distinguished in air-filters and in medical clinics/hospitals with COVID-19 patients, where it could be reached simply by aerosols.
- As a matter of fact, the report reveals that the nosocomial infections those which originated in a hospital; have also been identified in such places where the medical services experts wore PPEs to protect themselves against the infection transmission through droplets.
- The writers affirmed that the transmission of the coronavirus is higher indoors contrasted with outside as the transmission is considerably decreased by indoor ventilation.
Thusly, the researchers have proclaimed that there is no study to their knowledge that gives solid or predictable proof which can discredit their hypothesis yet. While, the writer’s last contention was that there was a slight proof that upholds other predominant routes of SARS-CoV-2 transmission, asserting Covid-19 as an airborne.
But now on FRIDAY, MAY 7, 2021, the CDC (Center for Disease & Control) also has acknowledged that SARS-CoV-2, the infection that causes Covid, can be sent through respiratory liquids in form of droplets. The individuals discharge respiratory liquids during exhalation, breathing, speaking, singing, work-out, coughing, sneezing etc. in the form of droplets across a range of sizes. These droplets transfer the virus to others, as indicated by its updated public guidelines on CDC site.
The CDC proceeds to say that within seconds to minutes these drops settle in air and dry very quickly; these are little enough that they can stay suspended noticeably in air for quite a long time to hours. As per CDC, the factors that increase the risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection under these circumstances include:
- Enclosed spaces with inadequate ventilation or air handling within which the concentration of exhaled respiratory fluids, especially very fine droplets and aerosol particles can build up in the air space.
- Increased exhalation of respiratory fluids if the infected person is engaged in physical exertion or raises their voice e. g. exercising, shouting, singing.
- Prolonged exposure to these conditions, typically more than 15 minutes.
The CDC said that the principal mode by which people are infected with COVID-19 is through exposure to respiratory fluids carrying the infectious virus. They stated that exposure occurs in three principal ways:
- Inhalation of very fine respiratory droplets and aerosol particles.
- Deposition of respiratory droplets and particles on exposed mucous membranes in the mouth, nose, or eye by direct splashes and sprays.
- Touching mucous membranes with hands that have been soiled either directly by virus-containing respiratory fluids or indirectly by touching surfaces with the virus on them.
So, as we have come across to conclusion that it’s an airborne virus (more contagious); therefore, preventive measures are needed to follow strictly and constantly.
The available evidence continues to demonstrate that existing recommendations to forestall SARS-CoV-2 transmission are still effective; these incorporate physical distancing, local area utilization of well-fitting veils e.g., face covering surgical masks, appropriate ventilation as well as evasion of swarmed indoor spaces.
These techniques will lessen transmission both from inward breath of infection and testimony of infection on uncovered mucous surfaces. Thus, transmission can be forestalled by rehearsing hand cleanliness. Our carelessness can be dangerous. The authorities should create awareness among the people and encourage them to follow proper SOPs.